Lucius A. House
Twenty-three years of association with the business and financial interests of Winder has established for Lucius A. House, president of the Farmers Bank, a reputation for ability, resource and unflagging industry. He is one of the captains of success who have piloted their own craft to harbor, and in his many years of experience he has evolved the belief that hard work rarely injures anyone, and that honesty always pays.
Mr. House was born in Jackson County, Georgia, November 7, I860, and is a son of John H. and Eliza (Collins) House. His grandfather, John G. House, who was born in Georgia, had a district named in his honor, and for many years was engaged in farming, planting and school teaching, becoming the owner of a large tract of land. John H. House was born in Jackson County, Georgia, in 1837, and was engaged in farming as his father’s assistant when the Civil war came on. He offered his services and was accepted as a member of Captain Reynolds’ company, in the Sixteenth Georgia Infantry, and after three years of brave and faithful service received his honorable discharge. He participated in numerous important battles, but escaped without wounds or capture. His death occurred in 1906, at the age of sixty-nine years, after he had spent many years in successful planting operations. He was laid to rest in Jackson County. Mrs. House, who was born in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, is still living at the age of seventy-two years. They were the parents of thirteen children, of whom Lucius A. is the fourth in order of birth.
The early education of Lucius A. House was secured in the public schools of Rockwell, Georgia, this being supplemented by one year of attendance at Winder, and one year at Martin Institute, Jefferson. On December 12, 1892, he entered upon his business career at Winder, in the employ of Smith, Carrithers & Company, a firm with which he was connected until October 15. 1902, when he left to become cashier for Smith & Carrithers, bankers. With that institution he continued until March, 1914, when, at the organization of the Farmers Bank, he was made its president and has continued as the directing head of this concern to the present time. Mr. House is known as one of the most capable bankers of Northern Georgia, and few men have a more comprehensive knowledge of finance. Through tact, fair representation and business integrity, he has won the confidence of the community, a valuable asset indeed, and one which assures a continuation of his present prosperity. Politically he is a democrat, while his fraternal connections include membership in the Blue Lodge and Chapter of Masonry, of the former of which he is treasurer.
On December 10, 1897, at Winder, Mr. House was united in marriage with Mrs. Lell Smith Eberhardt, daughter of John and Martha Smith, of Oglethorpe County, Georgia, and to this union four children have been born: one who died in infancy; John Clyde, born in 1898, who is attending the graded schools; Edith, born in 1903, also a public school student; and Lucius Gibson, born in May, 1908, who is also a public school pupil.
From A Standard History of Georgia and Georgians, Vol. 4, p. 2071, by Lucian Lamar Knight